15.10.13

Subject and verb agreement.


It is sometimes difficult for younger students to understand what is that thing called Subject and verb agreement, especially because at schools, we do not have enough time to practice on this. The ideal way would be to practise orally many times until they internalize it. Fortunately, we still have internet to practise on their own at home.
First, a brief explanation:


  • The person who speaks is the first person, singular (I) or plural (we, my sister and I, the students and I...)
  • The second person is the one who listens, it can be singular or plural (you, your friends and you, your brother and you...)
  • The third person is the one the first and second speak about: it can be singular male (he, Pete, my father...) or singular female (she, your sister, my mother...) or a thing or an animal, that is, singular neutral (it, my dog, the table...); it can also be plural ( they, my friends, Mary and Peter, my dogs, the chairs...
It is important that students understand well the relationships that are established in any conversation and their changing nature. The second step is to really learn how verbs work, we are going to focus on the two most usual verbs and the present simple this year in 1st of ESO, basically they will have to learn this chart:


V. to be
V. to have got
Present simple
I am
I have got
I (verb)
You are
You have got
You (verb)
He/she/it  is
He/she/it has got
He/she/it (verb)+s/es
We are
We have got
We (verb)
You are
You have got
You (verb)
They are
They have got
They (verb)

I am leaving some links to exercises so that you can practice:
I will work this with my class. I hope it helps. Do you master this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to know what you think, please leave a comment!
Me interesa tu opinión, deja tu comentario